New London, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team fell on the road in non-conference action to in-state rival Coast Guard, 6-3, Monday afternoon at Nitchman Field.
FINAL SCORE: Coast Guard 6 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-7) | Coast Guard (6-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first inning, the Bears got on the board in the second scoring the first run of the day on an RBI ground out, but a half inning later Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) would tie the game at one following an RBI single to left allowing Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) to cross home.
Coast Guard answered back in the bottom of the third with two runs on two hits and a Falcon error to take a two-run lead, 3-1. The Bears added one more run in the fourth on RBI single before the Falcons scratched one across in the sixth on an RBI ground out by Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) making the score 4-2.
Alex Cordes roped a two-out RBI double in the right center gap in the seventh to give the Bears a 5-2 lead. Albertus Magnus got one back in the eighth on an RBI single by Justen Rodriguez (Waterbury, Conn.) cutting the deficit to 5-3.
The Bears added an insurance run in the eighth to close out the scoring.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound:
- Albertus Magnus – Shawn McFeggan (L, 1-2): 5.2 IP | 7 H | 4 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 6 SO
- Albertus Magnus – Brandon Fowler: 2.1 IP | 3 H | 2 R | 1 ER | 1 SO
- Coast Guard – Nate Ralph (W, 1-2): 6.0 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 4 BB | 6 SO
- Coast Guard – Lukas Caskey (Sv, 2): 1.1 IP
At the Plate:
- Clark, Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and Rodriguez each had a pair of hits for the Falcons while Clark registered two RBI and two runs scored.
- Jeremy Lhotka was 3-of-4 with a sacrifice fly and three RBI's while Luke Thompson and Will Stephens each added two hits for the Bears.
- Albertus Magnus finished the nine inning showdown 8-of-34 with three RBI, four walks and eight strikeouts.
- Coast Guard was 10-of-35 with six RBI, three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Crocco and freshman Omar Diaz (New Haven, Conn.) also added a hit each for the visitors.
The Falcons return to the mound on Wednesday, March 28 with a non-conference doubleheader against Mitchell. First pitch is set for 4 pm at Rochford Field.