Providence, R.I. - Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) combined for 56 points as the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team defeated Johnson & Wales, 85-68, Tuesday evening in GNAC play at the Wildcat Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 85 | Johnson & Wales 68
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-7, 10-5) | Johnson & Wales (15-10, 11-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an offensive battle between Albertus Magnus and Johnson & Wales over the first eight minutes of play as both teams battled through three ties before the Falcons closed out the opening quarter with a 10-point lead, 25-15, following a 14-4 run.
The Falcons continued their run into the second, outscoring the Wildcats, 22-7, to take a commanding 47-22 lead at the half.
Johnson & Wales saw the Falcons' lead grow to as many as 29 midway through the third quarter and could not catch-up to the visitors, falling in its regular season finale, 85-68.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons tie the Wildcats in the all-time series, 12-12.
- Senior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) shot 100 percent from three-point range as well as tallied a career-high 10 rebounds.
- Bolden shot a perfect 100 percent from the charity stripe.
- More half of Johnson & Wales' points came from Raquel Pederzani. She broke the old record of 34 set by several players, including Pederzani herself at Anna Maria on February 6.
- Bolden's 11-rebound performance extends her career-total to 1,095, ranking her second all-time. She is just 20 rebound away from becoming the Falcons' all-time leading rebounder.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 51.6% (field goal), 41.7% (three point) and 66.7% (free throw)
- Johnson & Wales - 31.2% (field goal), 42.9% (three point) and 57.1% (free throw)
- This game saw three ties and one lead change.
- Albertus Magnus out rebounded the hosts 54-36.
- Bolden paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high 27 points as well as tallied her 20th double-double of the season with 11 rebounds.
- Johnson was the next player to finish is double-figures with 27 points, five rebounds, two assists and three steals.
- Along with her 41 points, Pederzani recorded 11 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- The Wildcats scored 31 of their points off the Falcons' 22 turnovers.
- The Falcons dominated in the paint, 30-16.
- Johnson & Wales outshot the Falcons in the fourth quarter, 28-18.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 17 as the Falcons host Simmons College in a GNAC tilt beginning at 1 p.m. on Senior Day.
SENIOR DAY - FEB. 17
Prior to the start of Saturday's game the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team would like to recognize the accomplishments of its two-member senior class. These two student-athletes have been key contributors to the Falcons' success during their tenure here with the squad and have helped the team improve each season.