FINAL SCORE: Mt. St. Vincent 8 | Albertus Magnus 3
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-8) | Mt. St. Vincent (2-12)
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell to the College of Mt. St. Vincent, 8-3, on Thursday evening in a non-conference clash at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Freshman Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.) broke the silence at the 24:48 mark as she scored her third goal of the season off a free position shot to give the Falcons the early edge, 1-0. However, Mt. St. Vincent would close out the half with a 4-0 run to take a three-point lead, 4-1, heading into halftime.
The Dolphins continued their run into the second, scoring its fifth goal of the game at the 24:48 mark from Meaghan Cleary. Two minutes later, Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) cut the lead to within three, 5-2, as the rookie put one past the Dolphins' goalkeeper for her 17th goal of the season.
Shortly after, Mt. St. Vincent went on a 3-0 run to find themselves ahead six, 8-2, with 6:51 remaining in regulation. The Falcons' final goal of the game came from freshman Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) on a free position shot at the 3:07 mark.
INSIDE THE STATS
- In net, sophomore Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) earned the loss as well as posted 17 saves.
- Gabriella Marinese picked up the "W" for the Dolphins and stopped eight shots.
- Albertus Magnus was 22-of-28 in clear attempts and 3-of-6 in free position shots.
- Mt. St. Vincent outshot the Falcons 29-16 as well as won the battle in ground balls 27-23.
- Albertus Magnus held a 9-4 edge in draw controls and recorded 17 turnovers.
- Amy Cohen led the Dolphins with a team-high two goals while Alicia Forgione posted a team-high three points, a goal and two assists.
The Falcons wrap up the 2017 regular season on Saturday, April 29th at Saint Joseph's (Me.)