Myrtle Beach, S.C. – Despite scoring a total of 22 runs, the Albertus Magnus College baseball team fell to Lancaster Bible in a non-conference doubleheader Thursday afternoon at Grand Park Field as part of the Ripken Experience. The Falcons came up short in the opener, 11-10, before losing to the Chargers by seven, 19-12, in the night cap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Lancaster Bible 11 | Albertus Magnus 10
FINAL SCORE (G2): Lancaster Bible 19 | Albertus Magnus 12
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-4) | Lancaster Bible (7-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lancaster Bible opened the game scoring three runs on three hits until a half inning later the Falcons tied the score up at 3-3 after back-to-back RBI from Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) and Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.).
The Chargers went on to score two runs in the second and three runs in the third to push its lead to five, 8-3. In the top of the fourth, sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) put the Falcons back in the game, 8-6, after recording his first home run of the season after driving in Brandon Fowler and Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.).
Shortly after, the Chargers pushed their back up to five, 11-6, behind a three run inning in the fourth. Albertus Magnus rallied in the final two innings, scoring a total of four runs, but it wasn't enough as the Chargers took game one, 11-10.
Similar to game one, Lancaster Bible came out swinging in the first, scoring an impressive eight runs to take the early edge. In the bottom of the second, Albertus Magnus cut the Chargers' lead to within three, 8-5, behind a pair of RBI's from Fowler and Warren.
Lancaster Bible answered back to the Falcons' rally as the Chargers scored a total of seven runs over the third and fourth inning, pushing their lead to 10, 15-5. Albertus Magnus continued to swing the bat in the bottom of the fourth, scoring three more runs behind a two-run homer from Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) and a single RBI from Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.).
Over the final two innings, both teams registered a hit in the fifth and three runs in the sixth, but the Chargers remained on top and secured the doubleheader sweep, 19-12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Daunte Brinkley (L, 0-1) – 4.0 IP | 14 H | 11 R | 10 ER | 1 BB | 3 SO | 1 HR
- Lancaster Bible: Noah McMullen (W, 3-2) – 5.0 IP | 6 H | 6 R | 4 ER | 7 BB | 2 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- Junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) led the Falcons' attack with a 3-of-4 showing at the plate as well as tallied three RBI and a run scored.
- Sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) posted a team-best four RBI behind a home run and a single.
- Will Welsh and Adam Cohick posted a team-high three hits for the Chargers while Welsh added three runs scored and two RBI to his stat line.
- Albertus Magnus was 8-of-31 at the plate.
- Lancaster Bible finished game one 15-of-34 at the plate.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Luke Sorenson (L, 0-1) – 2.0 IP | 7 H | 8 R | 8 ER | 1 BB | 2 SO | 2 HR
- Lancaster Bible: Nate Staffieri (W, 1-0) – 2.0 IP | 4 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 3 BB | 0 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Junior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) was a perfect 3-of-3 at the plate as well as added a team-high two runs scored and two RBI.
- Along with Browne, Clark and Justen Rodriguez (Waterbury, Conn.) posted two RBI each.
- Colin Myers and Sam Taylor both went 3-of-5 at the plate, while Myers finished with two runs scored and three RBI and Taylor recorded three runs scored and two RBI, respectively.
- Albertus Magnus went 13-of-31 with 11 RBI.
- Lancaster Bible finished 16-of-36 with 15 RBI.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on March 16th against Pine Manor.