New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team fell at home to Worcester State, 14-9, on Wednesday evening in non-conference play at Rochford Field.
FINAL SCORE: Worcester State 14 | Albertus Magnus 9
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-14) | Worcester State (7-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus came out swinging scoring three runs on four hits, including back-to-back RBI from Tom Crocco (Kings Park. N.Y.) and Christian Bradley (Stratford, Conn.), to take the early lead until the top of the third as the Lancers cut the lead to within one, 3-2.
The Falcons answered back in the bottom of the third scoring a run on a passed ball before tacking on three additional runs in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 7-2.
Worcester State rallied for two runs on four hits in the top of the sixth, but junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) pushed the hosts' lead to back-up four, 8-4, following an RBI double to center.
With the score in favor of the Falcons, 9-6, bats came alive for Worcester State as the Lancers capitalized on offense scoring eight runs in the top of the eighth to take their first lead of the game, 14-9. Solid relief pitching by the visitors kept the Falcons at bay to secure the non-conference win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound
- Albertus Magnus - Justen Rodriguez (L, 0-2): 0.1 IP | 1 H | 5 R | 4 ER | 3 BB
- Worcester State - Kyle Gray (W, 1-0): 1.0 IP | 3 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 1 HR
At the Plate
- Five different players from Albertus Magnus recorded a game-high two hits.
- Crocco led the offensive unit with four RBI while Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) and Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) drove in a team-best two runs.
- Despite the loss on the mound, Rodriguez recorded his first collegiate home run in the bottom of the seventh to put the Falcons ahead 9-6.
- Mike Ferrara paced the Lancers' offense with a 3-of-5 showing at the plate with a team-high three RBI and a run scored.
- Ben Palantino drove in three runs for the visitors.
- Albertus Magnus finished the game 14-of-36 with eight RBI, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Worcester State posted 14 hits over 40 at bats to go along with nine RBI, nine walks and three strikeouts.
Albertus Magnus returns to the diamond on Saturday, April 14th with a home GNAC doubleheader against Rivier University. First pitch is schedule for 1 p.m. at Rochford Field.