New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was swept by Saint Joseph's (Me.) in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Thursday evening at Rochford Field. The Monks posted a 2-1 win in the nine innings in the opener and completed the sweep with a 3-2 triumph in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Saint Joseph's (Me.) 2 | Albertus Magnus 1 - 9 innings
FINAL SCORE (G2): Saint Joseph's (Me.) 3 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-20, 3-9) | Saint Joseph's of Maine (25-8, 9-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Sophomore Christian Bradley (Stratford, Conn.) got things started for Albertus as the left fielder drove in Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) from third to give the Falcons the one-run lead, 1-0.
Solid pitching from junior Daunte Brinkley (Hartford, Conn.) kept Saint Joseph's (Me.) at bay over the next five innings until the Monks threatened the Falcons with bases loaded and two out, but Warren secured the third out by making the play at third.
Saint Joseph's scored the tying run in the bottom of the seventh thanks to an RBI single from Ben Gravel before the Monks had the winning run on third, but a diving catch from Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) ended the threat and the inning.
The Monks picked up the "W" in the bottom of the ninth after scoring on a pitch out, 2-1.
Similar to game one, Albertus Magnus jumped out to an early lead, 2-0, behind a pair of RBI from Warren and Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) in the top of the first, but a one-run RBI from Ben Gravel cut the Falcons' lead in half, 2-1, in the bottom of of the second.
In the bottom of the seventh, Saint Joseph's had runners on the corners and both runners managed to score off an RBI double to give the Monks the walk-off win for the second time today.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Daunte Brinkley (L, 3-2) – 8.1 IP | 5 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 5 SO
- Saint Joseph's of Maine: Zach Begin – 6.2 IP | 5 H | 1 R | 0 ER | 3 BB | 8 SO
- Saint Joseph's of Maine: Josh Partridge (W, 4-2) – 2.1 IP | 2 H | 1 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Bradley and junior Marc Masciantonio (Hamden, Conn.) both produced two hits for the Falcons in the loss.
- Will Martin led the Monks with a 2-for-3 showing following a pair of singles while Hunter Richardson scored two runs and swiped a pair of bases.
- Albertus Magnus finished game one with seven hits over 31 at bats while the Monks posted five hits.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Dan Zarnik (L, 2-5) - 6.1 IP | 7 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 5 SO
- Saint Joseph's of Maine: Jonathan Marchia (W, 2-0) - 2.0 IP | 1 H | 1 BB | 2 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Harris and Crocco led the Falcons at the plate with a game-high two hits.
- Martin was perfect at the plate for Saint Joseph's as he recorded a 3-for-3 performance as well as scored two runs.
- Albertus Magnus out-hit the Monks in game two, 9-7.
- Along with his two hits, Harris posted a run scored.
The Falcons conclude the 2018 regular season with a road conference doubleheader at Lasell on Saturday, April 28th.