New Haven, Conn. – Junior James May (Branford, Conn.) and senior Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) combined to score 15 goals and dished out nine assists to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team past Mitchell College, 22-4, in non-conference action on Monday evening at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 21 | Mitchell 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | Mitchell (0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened regulation scoring three goals over a five minute span and carried its 3-0 lead into the second. Mitchell managed to score a pair of the goals over the next 15 minutes of play, but the Falcons would remain ahead by six, 8-2, at the half after scoring five goals in the second, including two from May and Moore.
Mitchell's Kyle Marsh opened the second half scoring his first goal of the game to pull the score to within five, 8-3, but it would be as close as the Mariners would get. The Falcons scored the final six goals of the third quarter and the first five of the fourth to put the game out of reach.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Jack Kerner (W, 2-2): 3 Goals-Against | 5 Saves | 8 Shots
- Albertus Magnus - John Brunetti: 1 Goals-Against | 1 Save | 2 Shots
- Mitchell – Marcel Quinlan (L, 0-5): 21 Goals-Against | 18 Saves | 39 Shots
- Niko Ames – three assists and 10 ground balls
- James May – eight goals and three assists
- Brennan Moore – seven goals
- Christopher Magnifico – two goals and three assists
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus finished the game 24-of-29 in the circle with no violations while the Mariners went 5-of-29 in face-offs and recorded three violations.
- Mitchell was 20-for-24 in clear attempts and 0-of-9 in man-up opportunities.
- Albertus Magnus was 5-for-10 in man-up opportunities and 19-for-21 in clears.
- The Falcons held the advantage in ground balls, 52-31, and in shots, 65-21.
- As a team, the Falcons forced 11 of the Mariners' 17 turnovers.
- Mitchell was led offensively by Jade Shields who posted two goals and an assist for three points.
- Junior Austin Kozak (West Haven, Conn.) also added two goals of his own to the Falcons' total while Nicholas Pereiro (Trumbull, Conn.) recorded his first marker of the season.
- Along with his seven goals, Moore paced the Falcons' offense with six helpers.
- Freshman Jordan Garguilo (West Haven, Conn.) collected a season-best four assists as well as added five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Kyle Marsh also had a game for the visitors as he recorded a goal, an assist, 11 ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Freshamn Jayme Toro (East Haven, Conn.) registered a season-best 20 ground balls as well as added a goal.
The Falcons return to the field on Wednesday, March 28th as the Falcons travel to Mass. Maritime for a non-conference clash at 7 p.m.