Albertus Magnus College
Softball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (5-4, 0-0)
Mount Ida (2-6, 0-0)
Sat., March 24 • Shea Softball Complex • 12/2 pm • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (5-4, 0-0)
Simmons (2-6, 0-0)
Sun., March 25 • Shea Softball Complex • 12/2 pm • New Haven, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College softball team returns to action this weekend as the Falcons open up Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play with a pair of home doubleheaders against Mount Ida and Simmons.
LAST WEEK RECAP
Game 1: Albertus Magnus 8 | Alfred State 0 (5 innings) – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 2: Albertus Magnus 6 | Bay Path 0 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 3: Pikeville 7 | Albertus Magnus 1 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 4: Wesley 8 | Albertus Magnus 0 (5 innings) - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 5: Albertus Magnus 5 | Sarah Lawrence 1 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 6: Keystone 12 | Albertus Magnus 1 (5 innings) - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 7: Sarah Lawrence 9 | Albertus Magnus 6 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 8: Albertus Magnus 9 | Cazenovia 4 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game 9: Albertus Magnus 2 | Franciscan 0 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
FORTIER NAMED GNAC CORVIAS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior Gillian Fortier(Naugatuck, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College softball team was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Player of the Week.
In a 4-4 week for the Falcons, Fortier hit .524 (11-of-21) with a .615 OBP and .810 slugging percentage. The senior had four RBI while scoring six runs and posting three triples. She registered three multi-hit games, including a four-hit, two RBI performance against Cazenovia.
CUNNING SELECTED TO GNAC WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
Junior Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) of the Albertus Magnus College softball team was selected to the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Weekly Honor roll for her performance last week.
Cunning was 2-1 with three complete games in four appearances (four starts) with a 2.24 ERA and 13 strikeouts over 25.0 innings. She hurled a complete game and recorded her first "W" of the season against Sarah Lawrence (W, 5-1), allowing after one run on two hits while striking out one batter. Cunning threw another CG with a career-best seven strikeouts against Sarah Lawrence (L, 9-6) then recorded her first shutout win of the season against Franciscan (W, 2-0).
ALL-TIME VS. MOUNT IDA
Albertus Magnus and Wesley are tied at 10-10 in the all-time series.
ALL-TIME VS. SIMMONS
Simmons leads Albertus Magnus in the all-time series 22-11.
LAST TIME VS. SIMMONS
Game (5/4/17): Albertus Magnus 9 | Simmons 0 (GNAC Tournament) –RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (4/22/17): Simmons 7 | Albertus Magnus 6 –RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (4/22/17): Albertus Magnus 3 | Simmons 1 –RECAP / BOX SCORE
At the Plate
- Runs: 38
- Hits: 70
- RBI: 30
- Batting Average: .295
- On-Base Percentage: .345
- Slugging Percentage: .397
On the Mound
- ERA: 3.82
- Batting Average Against: .308
- Strikeouts: 25
- Strikeouts/7 innings: 3.18
Albertus Magnus has 14 student-athletes returning from last year's team - Aliza Esposito, Laura Anderson, Kristen Cunning, Maxine Sanchez, Marissa Guglielmi, Gillian Fortier, Samantha Maselli, Melissa Castillo, Megan Ferraro, Brianna Whitfield, Daysia Wehder, Shayla Gladden, Tabitha Ortega and Kayla Gosselin.
SOFTBALL PICKED TO FINISH FOURTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College softball team was picked to finish fourth in the 2018 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
The Falcons received 138 points behind first-place and three-time GNAC Champion Johnson & Wales (R.I.). The Wildcats received 12 of a possible 13 first-place votes to take the top spot in the annual preseason poll.
- The Albertus Magnus College softball team finished the 2017 season with a program best 30 wins and earned the No. 4 seed in the GNAC Tournament after posting a 15-7 mark in league play.
- The Falcons saw their season come to an end with a 9-2 setback versus Suffolk in the double elimination portion of the GNAC Tournament.
- In the season-opener against SUNY Canton, head coach Ed Emielita collected his 100th career win.
- Albertus Magnus rode a season-best nine-game winning streak to kick off the month of April.
- In conference play, the Falcons swept Anna Mara, Lasell, Saint Joseph's (Conn.), Mount Ida, Rivier and Emmanuel (Mass.).
- Falcon infielder Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year for the second time in her career as well as named to the first team for the third straight year.
- Fellow classmate Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) landed on the second team while outfielder Megan Kelly(Bronx, N.Y.) and junior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) both received third team distinction.
- Falcon catcher Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) represented Albertus Magnus on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship squad.
FORTIER NAMED TO NFCA NORTHEAST SECOND-TEAM
LINK: NFCA Complete Release
Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College softball team was named to the 2017 National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Division III All-Northeast Second Team. This is the second time in Fortier's collegiate career she has received this year-end honor from the NFCA.
SOFTBALL LANDED 11 PLAYERS ON THE GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Albertus Magnus College softball team had 11 student-athletes – Shayla Gladden, Megan Ferraro, Marissa Guglielmi, Gillian Fortier, Maxine Sanchez, Samantha Maselli, Kristen Cunning, Megan Kelly, Shyleen Ortiz, Amanda Jessey and Rachel Cataudella – be named to the 2016-17 GNAC All-Academic Team for their work inside the classroom.
Albertus Magnus returns at action on New Jersey City and Lasell.