FINAL SCORE: Rivier 10 | Albertus Magnus 5
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-7, 1-7) | Rivier (4-10, 2-5)
New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) recorded two goals and an assist for three points as the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell to Rivier University, 10-5, on Sunday afternoon in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match-up at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus wasted no time getting its first point on the board as Aida Sarr (Bronx, N.Y.) scored the first goal of the game two minutes in. Zelaya would extend the Falcons' lead to three, 3-0, after scoring back-to-back goals less than a minute apart.
Rivier answered back scoring three-straight unanswered goals, including two from Ashley Leal, to tie the game at 3-all with 12:22 remaining until halftime. Sarr would break the tie, 4-3, with her second goal of the game, but the Raiders would hold a 7-4 lead at the half.
It was a defensive battle for both teams in the second half as the Falcons and Raiders totaled 20 turnovers. However, Rivier outshot the hosts 3-1 in the final 30 of play to secure the conference win. Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) would score the Falcons' lone goal of the half after a nice feed from Zelaya.
INSIDE THE STATS
- In cage, Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) turned aside 13 shots and had six ground balls for the hosts in a losing effort.
- Along with Zelaya, Aida Sarr recorded two goals along with four ground balls.
- Rivier won the ground ball battle, 44-39, as well as out shot the Falcons, 30-16.
- Albertus Magnus was 21-of-31 in clears and 1-of-6 in free position shots.
- Amanda Barton led the visitors with a four-goal performance as well as added five ground balls and two caused turnovers to her stat line.
- The Raiders were 30-of-34 in clears and 6-of-17 in free position shots.
The Falcons return to action next week against Mt. St. Vincent and Saint Joseph's (Me.)