Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Behind a season-high six goals from junior Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team extended its winning streak to three as the Falcons defeated Rivier University, 17-12, on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 17 | Rivier University 12
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-6, 2-4) | Rivier University (1-6, 1-4)
- The Falcons picked up their first program win against the Raiders and brings the all-time series record to 1-5.
- Following the win, Albertus ties its season-high in wins with four as well as recorded its first three-game winning streak.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rivier struck first scoring its first of the game at the 26:53 mark on a goal from Ashley Leal.
- Junior Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) evened the score two minutes later with her 12th goal of the season, until a free position goal from Dzenana Omerovic tied the game for a second time, 2-2.
- A pair of goals from Ellsworth as well as a goal from Maddy Rowe (Branford, Conn.) gave the Falcons a two-goal cushion, 4-2, with 19:07 left on the clock.
- Over the next five minutes of play, both teams battled offensively as the Falcons put together a 3-2 run extending their lead to three, 7-4.
- Rivier found themselves trailing by two, 8-6, at the 3:25 mark, but Albertus held tough and headed into halftime with a 10-6 advantage.
- Rivier opened the second with a quick goal from Leal to bring the score to within three, 10-7, until back-to-back goals from Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.) and Alexis Lape (Bristol, Conn.) pushed the Falcons' lead back up to five, 12-5.
- A goal from Breana Abilheira-Cargill sparked a Raiders' 5-2 run that cut the hosts' lead to two, 14-12, with 7:16 remaining in regulation.
- Albertus, however, sealed the crucial GNAC win following a goal from Neilander and two from Ellsworth.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) (W, 3-6): 12 Goals-Against | 11 Saves | 23 Shots
- Courtney Laperriere (L, 1-5): 17 Goals-Against | 12 Saves | 29 Shots
- Neilander finished the game with five goals to go along with three ground balls, two draw control wins and two caused turnover.
- Junior Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) won nine draw controls, scooped up three ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Lape tallied two goals while Rowe registered three goals and two assists for five points.
- Sophomore Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) led the defensive unit as she caused four of the Raiders' 26 turnovers.
- Leal led the offensive unit with four goals while Amanda Barton and Dzenana Omerovic tallied three goals apiece.
- Goalkeeper Courtney Laperriere caused three turnovers.
- Abilheira-Cargill won seven draw controls while adding a goal, two assists and three ground balls to her stat line.
The Falcons will have six days off before facing GNAC newcomer Colby Sawyer on Saturday, April 6 at 12:00 PM in New London, N.H.