New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team snapped a three-game losing streak as the Falcons defeated in-state rival Mitchell College, 17-9, on Monday afternoon in non-conference play at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 17 | Mitchell 9
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-9) | Mitchell (1-7)
- This is the second straight program win against the Mariners.
- Albertus evens the all-time series record at 2-2.
- Albertus tied its season-high in free position goals with five.
- The Falcons also set a new season-high in ground balls (34), caused turnovers (18), clears (24-27) and shots (50).
- Albertus also set a new program-high in wins with five.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kate McCormack scored the first of the game 17 seconds in giving Mitchell the one-goal advantage until a pair of goals from Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.) and Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) put the Falcons up one, 2-1.
Shortly after, Mitchell evened the game at 2-2 as McCormack found the back of the net for a second time on a free position goal at 27:02. Junior Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) and Neilander doubled the hosts' lead, 4-2, before Daniella Holland brought the score to within one, 4-3, once again.
Albertus managed to find its rhythm on offense and extended its lead to 8-4 after four different players - Maddy Rowe (Branford, Conn.), D'Agostino, Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) and Ellsworth - found the back net over an eight minute span.
The Mariners closed out the final 10 minutes with a 2-1 scoring run that brought the score to within three, 9-6, at the half.
McCormack scored the opening goal of the second to bring Mitchell within two, 9-7. Ellsworth answered with her third goal of the game at 28:43, making it 10-7. Francesca Pinard scored at 19:21, bringing the Mariners within two again, but Rowe sparked a 7-1 run that put sealed the win for the Falcons.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (W, 4-9) (Oakville, Conn.): 9 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 16 Shots
- Gillian MacLellan (L, 1-7): 17 Goals-Against | 16 Saves | 33 Shots
- Rowe finished the game with a career-high five goals to go with five ground balls and two caused tunovers.
- D'Agostino scored four of the Falcons' 17 goals while Ellsworth and Neilander each recorded a hat trick.
- Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) claimed eight draw controls.
- Neilander and Zelaya led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers.
- Fenn tallied a team-high nine ground balls.
- McCormack finished with a hat trick while Pinard and Lindsey Fairbank scored two apiece.
- Hannah Corrigan led the defensive unit causing four turnovers.
- Pinard also finished with six draw controls and five ground balls.
Albertus returns to action on Wednesday, April 17th as the Falcons resume conference play with a home tilt against Norwich. Game time is set for 4pm at Celentano Field.