New Haven, Conn. - Freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball recorded her third double-double of the season with 11 kills and 13 digs as the Falcons defeated in-state foe Mitchelle College, 3-1, on Thursday evening in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 3 | Mitchell 1
SET SCORES: 25-17 (AMC), 25-17 (MC), 25-18 (AMC) AND 25-18 (AMC)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-4) | Mitchell (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened set one with the early 9-3 lead, forcing the visitors to call a timeout to regroup. Following the short break, the Falcons found themselves up 10, 21-11, before securing the 1-0 lead heading into the next frame.
Mitchell College took over the momentum of the match in set two as the Marineers jumped out to a 16-2 lead and would tie the match, 1-1, after defeating the hosts 25-17.
It was an evenly matched third set as both teams battled back-and-forth in points, but Albertus Magnus came up on top, 25-18, entering the fourth set.
Following a timeout by the Marineers, 12-4, Albertus Magnus pushed its lead to 10, 24-14, before a kill by senior Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.) secured the home win for the Falcons.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Along with her double-double, Cora Luquis tallied a team-high seven service aces.
- Freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the Falcons attack with a season-high 12 kills.
- Senior Ana Gomez (New Haven, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for Albertus Magnus with 11 kills.
- Senior Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.) and Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) both assists 20 kills.
- Mitchell was led by Marissa Sweeney who recorded six kills and four digs.
- Albertus Magnus held a 47-17 edge in kills as well as hit .120 at the net.
Albertus Magnus returns to action this Saturday, Sept. 16 with a non-conference tri-match against UMaine Presq. and Becker. Game times are set for 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.