New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team split a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matches on Saturday afternoon to Anna Maria College and Suffolk University. The Falcons swept the AMCATS in straight sets, but fell in the night cap in a five set thriller to the Rams.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-7, 1-3) | Suffolk (8-6, 3-2) | Anna Maria (3-11, 0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH 1
Albertus Magnus managed to slide past Anna Maria, 25-23, to take the 1-0 lead heading into set two, following an 11-kill performance from the Falcons' offense. Anna Maria threatened the Falcons in the second set, tying the frame nine times, but the Falcons prevailed, 26-24. Albertus Magnus carried its momentum into the third and final set as the hosts secured the sweep with the 25-7 third set victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – MATCH 1
- The Falcons hit .262 at the net behind a 38-kill performance, including a team-high 13 kills from freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.).
- Sophomore Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) and freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) led the Falcons in digs with 12 apiece.
- Anna Maria finished the match with 17 kills and a .068 hitting percentage.
- Sarah Lathrop led the AMCATS' offense with eight kills and a .438 hitting percentage to go along with three assists, six digs and a block.
- Cora Luquis also led the hosts in service aces with nine, while sophomore Delaney Ruiz (Meriden, Conn.) added five.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH 2
Albertus Magnus secured the early 1-0 edge entering set two, following a 25-23 first set win over Suffolk. The The Rams rebounded in the ensuing sets with a 25-16 second stanza win and a 25-21 third frame victory to go ahead 2-1 in the match. Albertus Magnus forced the fifth frame as the Falcons came back in the fourth, 25-22. In a tightly contest final frame, Suffolk came out on top, 15-12.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – MATCH 2
- Senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) tied her career-high 39 assists as well as recorded six aces, five kills and 10 digs.
- Sophomore Ashley David (West Islip, N.Y.) and freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the Falcons' attack with 10 kills.
- Suffolk held the advantage in kills, 51-46, and in blocks, 9-5.
- Hannah Fabiano notched her third double-double of the season, while Kerek notched her second and eighth of her collegiate career. Kerek's 41 assists are a new career-best for the senior.
- This season, the Falcons are 1-1 in five sets.
- The Rams are 2-1 in five-set matches this season.
Albertus Magnus returns to action this week with a non-conference match against New Jersey City on Tuesday before facing Johnson & Wales and Lasell on Saturday afternoon in a GNAC tri-match.