Providence, R.I. - The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matches on Saturday afternoon in a tri-match versus Lasell College and No. 20 Johnson & Wales University. The Falcons fell to the Lasers, 3-1, in the opener and lost in straight sets to the Wildcats in the nightcap.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-10, 1-5 GNAC) | Lasell (8-15, 2-3 GNAC) | No. 20 Johnson & Wales (19-0, 8-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED – Match 1
Lasell secured the early 1-0 edge over Albertus Magnus entering set two, following a 25-17 first set win. Albertus Magnus came back and tied the match up at one, 1-1, after defeating the Lasers by two, 25-23. Lasell rebounded back in the enusing sets with a 25-18 third stanza win and a 25-22 fourth frame win to secure the conference victory.
INSIDE THE STATS – Match 1
- Freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) recorded her ninth double-double of the season, 14 kills and 24 digs, to go along with three service aces.
- Along with Cora, sophomore Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) recorded 24 digs.
- Senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) also registered a double-double for the Falcons as the setter assisted 42 kills, 10 digs and two service aces.
- Lasell also had two players recorded double-doubles, including Olivia Addington who recorded an impressive 23 kills.
- Albertus Magnus finished the match with a .156 hitting percentage compared to the Lasers who hit .215 at the net.
- The Lasers won the defensive battle in blocks, 4-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED – Match 2
Johnson & Wales managed to slide past Albertus Magnus, 25-4, to take the 1-0 lead heading into set two. Albertus Magnus threatened the Wildcats in the second set, but the hosts prevailed 25-11. Johnson & Wales carried its momentum into the third and final set as the hosts secured the sweep with the 25-7 win.
INSIDE THE STATS – Match 2
- Freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the Falcons' offense with four kills and a block assist.
- Bella Oldham and Hannah Dolan paced the Wildcats' offense with nine kills each, while Oldham added a service ace and five digs to her stat line.
- Johnson & Wales finished the match with a .446 hitting percentage.
- Guzman recorded all three of the Falcons' service aces.
- Along with Keller, sophomore Ashley David (West Islip, N.Y.) recorded a block assist.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Staten Island, Rivier University and Saint Joseph's of Maine. The Falcons will host the Raiders and Monks on Saturday October 14 as part of Homecoming.