New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team opened Great Northeast Athletic Conference action today, September 8th as the Falcons split the conference tri-match to Emmanuel (Mass.) College, 3-1, and Norwich University, 3-2.
Match 1: Emmanuel 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
Match 2: Albertus Magnus 3 | Norwich 2
Records: Albertus Magnus (3-2, 1-1) | Emmanuel (2-1, 2-0) | Norwich (2-3, 0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED (Match 1 vs. Emmanuel)
Emmanuel opened the match taking the first set by five, 25-20, but despite a set-high 15 kills for the Saints, Albertus evened the match at 1-1 following the 25-22 second set victory.
The Saints wrapped up the match quickly taking the final two sets by a score of 25-9 and 25-11.
- Mary Shelow – 14 kills, six service aces and two blocks.
- Carly Church – 39 assists
- Casey Sheehan – 17 digs
- Emmanuel: Marissa Cataldo – 13 kills and 11 digs
HOW IT HAPPENED (Match 2 vs. Norwich)
Albertus Magnus and Norwich battled back-and-fourth over the first two sets, but the Falcons would come up on top, 2-0, entering the third, following a 25-22 first set and 26-24 second set wins.
However, the Cadets rallied from the 2-0 disadvantage to win back-to-back sets to force a decisive fifth set, but couldn't best the Falcons in the end.
- Genesis Cora Luquis – 17 kills, 24 digs and 5 service aces
- Jaiden Williams – 43 assists (season-high)
- Kathryn Farnum – 13 kills and three service aces
- Emily Oliver – 31 assists
- Brianna Dawson – 35 digs
- Rebecca Finley – 7 blocks
- Albertus: Summer Onorato – 12 kills and 15 digs
- Albertus: Vanessa Isyk – 10 kills and 13 digs
- Albertus: Jaiden Williams – 43 assists and 10 digs
- Albertus: Genesis Cora Luquis – 17 kills and 24 digs
- Albertus: Ashley David – 13 kills and 17 digs
- Norwich: Kathryn Farnum – 13 kills and 16 digs
The volleyball team returns to the court on Tuesday, Sept. 11 with a 7 p.m. home showdown against Newbury College.